Suresh Raina | Family, Wedding Pics, Age, Biography, Education, Height, Scandal, Weight, Wife, Wiki & More
Born: November 27, 1986 (age 31), Muradnagar, India
ODI debut (cap 159): 29 July 2005 v Sri Lanka
Test debut (cap 265): 26 July 2010 v Sri Lanka
Last ODI: 25 October 2015 v South Africa
ODI shirt no: 3 (formerly 48)
T20I debut (cap 8): 1 December 2006 v South Africa
Suresh Kumar Raina (About this sound pronunciation (help·info); born 27 November 1986) is an Indian professional cricketer. An aggressive left-handed middle-order batsman and an occasional off-spin bowler, he is considered as one of the best fielders in world cricket. He plays for Uttar Pradesh in all forms of domestic cricket. He is the captain of Gujarat Lions in the Indian Premier League, and was the vice-captain of the Chennai Super Kings. He has also captained the Indian cricket team and is the second-youngest player ever to captain India. He is the first of the three Indian batsmen to ever score a century in all three formats of international cricket.
Raina made his ODI debut in July 2005 against Sri Lanka at the age of 19. However, his Test debut came about five years later, in July 2010, against the same opposition. He scored a hundred on his Test debut. He was a part of the Indian squad that won the 2011 World Cup.
Suresh Raina married Priyanka Chaudhary on April 3, 2015. Their daughter, Gracia Raina, was born on 14 May 2016 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Suresh Raina has also lent his voice in the Bollywood, singing the song Tu Mili Sab Mila from the film Meeruthiya Gangster.
Real Name Suresh Kumar Raina
Nickname Sanu, Sonu
Profession Indian Cricketer (Batsman)
Physical Stats & More
Height (approx.) in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”
Weight (approx.) in Kilograms- 73 kg
in Pounds- 161 lbs
Eye Colour Dark Brown
Hair Colour Black
International Debut ODI- 30 July 2005 against Sri Lanka at Dambulla
Test- 26 July 2010 against Sri Lanka at Colombo
T20 – 1 December 2006 against South Africa at Johannesburg
Coach/Mentor Deepak Sharma, SP Krishnan
Jersey Number #3 (India)
Domestic/State Team Chennai Super Kings, Gujarat Lions, India Blue, Uttar Pradesh
Nature on field Calm
Likes to play against Pakistan
Favourite Shot Pull shot
Records (main ones) • First Indian cricketer to score a century in all 3 formats (Tests, ODIs, T20s).
• Second youngest player to be selected as the Indian skipper.
• Has played the most number of ODIs before making his test debut, which is a record.
• First Player to score 3000 runs in the IPL.
• First cricketer to score 400+ runs in all the editions of the Indian Premier League (till IPL 9-2016).
• First Indian and second in the world to hit 100 sixes in the IPL.
• Third batsman in the world to score a century in T20 International; the other two being Brendon McCullum and Chris Gayle.
Career Turning Point At the age of 15, Raina was spotted by Indian selectors when he was playing for Uttar Pradesh under-16s and was drafted to India’s under-19 tour of England where he scored 2 half-centuries.
Date of Birth 27 November 1986
Age (as in 2016) 30 Years
Birth Place Muradnagar, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
Zodiac sign/Sun sign Sagittarius
Signature Suresh Raina signature
Hometown Rajnagar, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh
School Not known
College Government Sports College, Lucknow
Educational Qualification Not known
Family Father: Tirlokchand Raina (Retired army officer)
Mother: Parvesh Raina
Suresh Raina with his parents and wife
Brothers: Naresh Raina, Mukesh Raina, Dinesh Raina (All elder)
Suresh Raina with his brothers
Sister: Renu Raina (Elder)
Suresh Raina with his sister
Address Sector 11, Rajnagar, Ghaziabad
Suresh Raina house in Ghaziabad
C-27, Sector 50, Noida
Suresh Raina house in Noida
Hobbies Travelling, snorkelling, water sports, paragliding
• In 2012, a sarcastic tweet was directed to the Pakistan cricket team, who were ousted from the tournament after their loss to Sri Lanka in the semi-finals, “Ek do din late gaye ghar !!!! Woh bhi besharam ki tarah Gaye… Bye bye Pakistan!!!!.” Soon after, this tweet was deleted after it was condemned on Twitter. Raina came up with a clarification on twitter and put the blame on his nephew for it by tweeting “Smart phones r dangerous. Discovered it last night after my nephew posted random tweets. I’m a sportsman and would never disrespect”. Though I already deleted it, I felt it’s better to clarify. To all those who r upset, I’m sorry. I’m not one to show disrespect.”
Suresh Raina controversial tweet
• On 20 June 2013, former IPL chief Lalit Modi alleged that Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja and Dwayne Bravo had taken bribes from a bookie who was also a builder, while they were playing for Chennai Super Kings.
Lalit Modi e-mail
• During the 2016 T20 World Cup, he found himself in the middle of a match-fixing controversy on the eve of India’s World T20 semi-final match against West Indies in Mumbai. According to reports, Suresh Raina was earlier being investigated by Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) on possible involvement in match-fixing, after being seen with a woman, who is known to be a close associate of a bookie.
Favourite Cricketers Batsman : Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, MS Dhoni
Bowler: Muttiah Muralitharan, Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee
Favourite Cricket Ground M. A. Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
JSCA International Stadium Complex, Ranchi
Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand
Favourite Cricket Commentators Ravi Shastri, Nasser Hussain
Favourite Footballer Lionel Messi
Favourite Actor Amitabh Bachchan
Favourite Actresses Sonali Bendre, Jessica Alba
Favourite Films Bollywood: Sholay, Kai Po Che, Iqbal
Hollywood: Fault In Our Stars, Cast Away
Favourite Musicians Kishore Kumar, Mohit Chauhan, Maroon 5, Band of Brothers
Favourite Song “Sukoon Mila” from the film Mary Kom
Favourite Colour Light Blue
Favorite Food Aloo Kadhi, Tunde kebab
Favorite Car Bentley
Favorite Restaurants Bukhara in Delhi
Thai Pavillion in Mumbai
Favorite Destination Italy, Greece, Ibiza
Girls, Family & More
Marital Status Married
Affairs/Girlfriends Poorna Patel (daughter of politician Praful Patel, rumour)
Suresh Raina with Poorna Patel
Shruti Hassan (Actress, rumour)
Wife/Spouse Priyanka Chaudhary (m.2015-present)
Suresh Raina with his wife Priyanka Chaudhary
Marriage Date 3 April 2015
Suresh Raina marriage photo
Children Daughter- Gracia Raina
Suresh Raina with his daugher Gracia Raina
Cars collection Porsche Boxster, Mini Cooper
Suresh Raina Porsche Boxster
Salary (as in 2016) RETAINER FEE: Rs 50 lakh ($95,000)
TEST FEE: Rs 300,000
ODI FEE: Rs 200,000
T20 FEE: Rs 150,000
Net Worth $25 million
Some Lesser Known Facts About Suresh Raina
Raina belongs to a Kashmiri Pandit family from Anantnag district, Jammu & Kashmir.
He spent much of his childhood in hostel staying away from home.
He started playing professional cricket in 1999 at the sports college in Lucknow. Suresh Raina in younger days
He was the skipper of the Under-16 Uttar Pradesh team.
He has a habit of collecting his cricket bats and till now he has collected 250+ bats, including his first bat which was gifted by his father in 1998.
He played his first Ranji Trophy game at the age of 16.
On his ODI debut in 2005, he was dismissed for a ‘Golden Duck’ against Sri Lanka.
During an ODI match against West Indies in the Tri Series 2013, Raina and Ravindra Jadeja had a spat after Raina failed to take Sunil Narine’s catch on two occasions.
He scored a century on his Test debut.
He has never missed out on a single match for ‘Chennai Super Kings.’
He has sung the song “Tu Mili Sab Mila” for a 2015 Bollywood film ‘Meeruthiya Gangsters.’
He can play saxophone (woodwind instruments).
He tied the nuptial knots with his childhood friend Priyanka Chowdhary.
If he wasn’t a cricketer, he would have been a Basketball player.
Ravindra Jadeja and Shikhar Dhawan are among his best friends in Indian cricket team.
He tattooed ‘Believe’ on his right arm.
Join the discussion. Add a comment. Please update this post with any new information or opinions as we encourage all additional points of view.