Demi Leigh Nel Peters | Family Pics, Age, Biography, Education, Height, Weight, Wedding, Husband, Wiki, Scandal & More
South African model
Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters is a South African model and beauty queen who was crowned Miss Universe 2017. She previously was crowned Miss South Africa 2017, and is the second Miss Universe winner from South Africa.
Born: June 28, 1995 (age 22), Sedgefield, Western Cape, South Africa
Height: 1.71 m
Nationality: South African
Title: Miss South Africa 2017
Parents: Anne-Mari Steenkamp, Bennie Peters
Nel-Peters was born on 28 June 1995 in Sedgefield, Western Cape to a Filipino father Bennie Peters and South African mother Anne-Marie Steenkamp, who are now divorced and married to different partners.  Her half-sister, Franje, has a physical disability, and Nel-Peters says that she is the most significant motivator in her life. She received a degree in business management from North-West University, and is fluent in both English and Afrikaans
Get to know Demi-Leigh:
1. She is the second Miss Universe from South Africa. Demi-Leigh follows in the footsteps of Margaret Gardiner, who won the Miss Universe title for South Africa in 1978. The country waited for 39 years.
2. She made a promise to speak up for “those who are afraid.” According to People, when Demi-Leigh won Miss South Africa 2017 early this year, she said: “I vow to dedicate the next 365 days of my life to serve the people of South Africa, to be a voice to those who are afraid to or cannot speak up and to represent the whole of our beautiful nation. I vow to listen, to be there, to help where I can and to recognize that we all want to be heard, we all want to be validated. I hear you, I see you, I am you!”
3. Demi-Leigh and Rachel became friends during the competition. Demi-Leigh posted a photo of her and Rachel, saying: “When your last names and outfits are matching, it definitely calls for a photo. Had the best time eating too much brownies with [Rachel Peters] at [Sugar Factory].”
4. She is an advocate for self-defense. In her Miss Universe introduction video, Demi-Leigh shared her involvement in promoting self-defense in her country. She recounted an instance where she found herself in danger as she was held at gunpoint.
“I think the important thing is to know that we all have things as humans that we go through. It’s okay not to have a perfect life and it’s okay to have emotions and to have feelings. If we are able to express our feelings more and share them with others, it’s so much easier to work through when you know that there [are] people holding your hand and walking through this with you,” she said.
5. She’s motivated by her sister who has a disability. In an interview with Jacaranda FM, Demi-Leigh talked about her sister, Franje.
“I have a 10-year-old half-sister, Franje. She is my dad and stepmom’s daughter. She was born without a cerebellum and is completely disabled. She is my biggest motivator in life [and she has the most beautiful lashes any girl can dream of].”
Join the discussion. Add a comment. Please update this post with any new information or opinions as we encourage all additional points of view.